Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini
Prep time:25 mins
Cook time:25 mins
Total time:1 hour
2 medium zucchini squash
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup diced Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 medium garlic cloves minced
1 cup sweet red pepper, diced
1 cup diced mushrooms , diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked quinoa or brown basmati rice
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled goat feta (optional)
Additional cheese to sprinkle over cooked squash, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Trim stem end from squash. Cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, carefully dig the seeds out of the zucchini creating the boat. Leave some zucchini flesh so don’t go too deep. Set aside in baking dish.
- Dice up the onions, red pepper and mushrooms nice and small.
- Add minced garlic and diced vegetables into pan and saute till slightly softened.
- Mix sauted vegetables with the quinoa or rice. Add the oregano, basil, parsley/cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Fill the boats with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven for 20 minutes (longer bake time is using larger zucchini). Remove and sprinkle additional cheese if desired. Bake for another 5 minutes. Do not over bake or they will be soggy.