18 cups liquid (broth, water, stock or combination)
1 lb split peas, picked over
1 medium onion, chopped
3 TBSP butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, or 1/8 cup dried
½ tsp dried basil
1/4 lb quinoa, rinsed (brown rice or barley will do as well)
1 bay leaf
4 large potatoes, diced (can be any potato variety, I like to do half sweet potato)
One 10 oz bag fresh spinach, rinsed, trimmed and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring water to a boil in large covered pot.
2. Add split peas, onions, butter/oil, garlic, parsley, basil, quinoa/grain, and bay leaf.
3. Return to a boil.
4. Turn it down to a simmer, uncovered over low heat, stirring frequently for 45 minutes
5. Add the potatoes and spinach
6. Continue to boil over low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring frequently
7. Once cooked, remove bay leaf and blend soup. I put a hand blender right in the pot.
8. Season as desired, with salt and pepper