Looking for a savory dish to warm your home and your appetite? This is easy, hearty and healthy! Add a side salad and you have a full meal deal.
2-3 acorn squash
Olive oil, as needed
Salt and pepper, as needed
1 cup onion, chopped
½ lb of ground turkey or sausage
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1/2 a red pepper, diced
1 apple, diced
Rosemary, as needed
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Goat feta or parmesan, as needed
1. 2-3 acorn squash, ends cut off and cut in half and cleaned. Brush sparingly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in 400* oven for 40 minutes.
2. While the squash is baking, add 1 TBSP oil to frying pan and saute 1 cup chopped onion, ½ lb of ground turkey/turkey sausage, stalk of celery, red pepper, diced apple, salt, pepper, rosemary and 2 cloves of garlic.
3. Fill baked squash halves, sprinkle with a bit of cheese and bake again for 20 more minutes.
4. Should you prefer to make this a vegetarian dish, use 2 stalks of celery, a whole pepper, handful of chopped baby spinach and a couple chopped mushrooms in the saute and remove meat (and cheese if vegan). You can also sprinkle with a TBSP of walnut pieces if you like.
12 cups water or broth
1 lb lentils, well rinsed and drained
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cumin
3-4 carrots, sliced
1 cup sliced leeks or onions
1 large can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup dried cilantro
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS salt
Dash of pepper
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp ginger (minced or from jar)
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Bring water/broth to boil. Add lentils and let simmer for 30 minutes
2. Add all remaining ingredients except lemon juice
3. Return to boil and let simmer until carrots are tender. (Approx. 20 minutes)
4. Add lemon juice
5. This can be served as is or can be processed with a hand blender.
6. Add additional bit of salt/pepper as needed.